Thursday, February 18, 2010

If God lent you his eyes...



I was born in a very pious Muslim family. The "dos" and "don'ts" of Islam were practiced in such a way that molded me into a rebellious boy that saw life as an enigma that continuously challenged my mind.

I still remember, when I was about 15 years old, I asked a dear teacher, "If God lent you His Eyes, wouldn't you see us human beings as a mere joke whereby our existence was just to feed His Ego? He is already the Greatest. What else does He want from us?"

He looked at me, scandalized. I continued:

"Picture this:

Imagine you are God, and you have the entire Universe you created on a table in front of you.

You created living beings. You created mankind. You gave them a tiny piece of your mind - the power to think and to choose, you gave them a soul, you gave them desire and you gave them lust.

You gave what they needed.

Then you created seduction and obedience, angels and devils. You created Sins and Rewards. You created Heaven. You created Hell. Then you created dogma and the will to go against it - You created laws you expected them to follow and you deny them the right to rebel. You made them in your image and you called them slaves. If they obeyed, you granted them Heaven. If they didn't, you granted them suffering...

What game is this?"


Even though my teacher didn't provide a satisfying answer, now after so many years I know that the answer lies in the question itself. Do you realize that I asked him to visualize the Universe on the "table"?

When I asked him those questions, I made myself very small like one of the hopeless creations on the table, and I saw God as a conceptual being separated from myself and judging me from beyond the sky above my head. What I didn't realize was that the very being who was witnessing the whole universe "on the table" is also myself - the Divine in me, participating in the physical realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment